Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bollywood is huge draw in Sri Lanka

Bollywood is huge draw in Sri Lanka

Sri Lankans are big fans of Bollywood. With long-term struggle against the LTTE ended, people in the Emerald Island now enjoy fantasies Bollywood sells and give confidence Indian filmmakers to shoot in the country.

Indian cinema has a large fan base in the country with Hindi films shown in cinemas during the year. There are at least shows on local TV almost every day.

Amanthi Gunawardena, a student, says: "Bollywood is very famous here. Many Hindi movies out in theaters here and we even get them on local cable TV with Sinhala sub-titles."

Posters of Bollywood actresses Madhuri and Aishwarya adorn many shops. As far as Sri Lanka's favorite actors are local swear by Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan.

Currently, Shah Rukh's "My Name Is Khan" is organization in a theater in town.

"We love Shah Rukh Khan, I have seen many of his films like" Kal Ho Ah Ho "... He is good. I myself am fond of Amitabh Bachchan, says Asanka, a shop owner.

Shobna Perera, a PR person said, "I know that some young stars, but my favorite is Amitabh Bachchan. He is a great inspiration. I wish I could meet him one day."

After completion of the civil war last year, the Sri Lankan government forcefully trying to promote the country as an ideal place to shoot the Hindi films.

1 comment: