Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Scarlett Johansson Shoots Back At Tony Critics


Quickly being awarded what many thespians strive their entire careers to achieve, Scarlett Johansson isn't feeling sorry about her recent Tony Award win.

Garnering best actress honors for her role in "A View From the Bridge," the 25-year-old big screen beauty tells Broadway World of her critics, "I pounded the pavement for years and I know what it's like to struggle as an actor. A lot of it is luck and, certainly, a lot of it is opportunity -- and the lack of that. So, I totally understand the frustration there."
With Broadway actress Hunter Foster among those complaining about Hollywood stars taking away prizes that should go to theater veterans, Scarlett shot back, "The actors we've seen this season that we recognize from film -- Denzel Washington, Viola Davis, Liev Schreiber and Catherine Zeta-Jones, etc. -- have not only made a huge impact on ticket sales but have given tour de force performances and all started their careers as stage actors, dedicating themselves to making an impression in the theater. This goes to show that actors are actors, whatever the outlet, and with perseverance and drive, can cross the boundaries of the medium."

And while she's sympathetic to Foster and friends' claims, ScarJo is by no means apologetic, explaining, "A lot of my friends who are struggling actors are going through the same thing. But, I can't apologize for it. I have worked my ass off to get to where I am so I understand that struggle. For me, it's more about hiring the right person for the job. If somebody is cast because they are a name but they're not right for the job, well, it's very frustrating."

No comments:

Post a Comment