Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kavya Madhavan, the comeback star


No question on who is the comeback star of the moment? Kavya Madhavan who came back after her short break has won the 2010 State Award for best actress for her terrific performance in ‘Gaddama’, to crown a wonderful year.

With a handful of releases in 2011 in the biggest multistarrers in recent times, ‘Christian Brothers’ and ‘China Town’, her comeback has been truly remarkable. Her performance in her latest release ‘Bhakthajanangalude Shradhakku’, has also been much appreciated. Next on the agenda is an Akku Akbar film starring Dileep, which is yet to start shooting. ‘Venicile Vyapari’ by Shaffi opposite Mammootty is also on the cards.
Victory is sweet and her happiness is evident, as the actor says that she is really happy about the reception she received when she came back after the short break in 2009.
“It was really nice to know that people accepted me wholeheartedly after the break. In the film field, you have to be lucky on many counts to be successful. The audience accepting you is really important. They must want to see you on screen. Otherwise, no matter how beautiful or talented you are, you won’t survive. From the beginning itself I got a good entry and people accepted me,” she says (her first film as heroine was ‘Chandranudikkunna Dikkil’ (1996) when she was in Class IX).
Kavya herself admits that insecurities plagued her when she returned after her short and tumultuous marriage. “Like anyone else under such circumstances I was also anxious. But once ‘Paappi Appacha’ was released, it was over. I got tremendous support from people within the industry and outside and my worries were over.” The actor says that she still likes to concentrate on Malayalam movies. “For a heroine, it is not easy to survive in just one industry but I am doing that. I am comfortable here, people here like me. I have acted in three Tamil movies so far, but at the moment I am concentrating on Malayalam.”
For someone who has won many accolades over the years including two State Awards she is pretty nonchalant about awards. “You feel happy when you get an award but people’s acceptance matters much more. The film has to have some element that interests me. The subject, character and even the team is important. My parents and I decide together on which movies to act. I am not choosy about genres either. I think comedy is what is most difficult to enact. But I like to do all kinds of roles. I just want to enact a lot more good characters.”
She is not bothered about the less important role of heroines in Malayalam films either. “I think the situation will improve after the seeing the response to heroine-oriented movies like ‘Gaddama’.”
Coming back to real life, she muses that the troubles and tribulations that she survived in life has taught her a lot about life. “The troubles in my life brought out the true colours of people around me. Your real friends will rally around you in trouble. The experience actually helped me to identify my true friends.”
Kavya learnt driving and even completed twelfth standard in the last one year. So has she become more serious about life? “Life outside films is also important. I got my driver’s license but I am still to get much experience driving. Driving in congested city roads is still unimaginable. As for studies, I want to study more. It is important to have a well-rounded life.”
Kavya does not like to dwell on the bit of bad patch in her life, (The final verdict on her divorce came on Monday) “That is past. It’s over and I would like to forget about it. I don’t want to talk about it now. I have truly survived it,” she says. She thinks her strong support system at home has helped her to overcome that hurdle. “My parents are my biggest asset. They literally walk with me through every hardship. Even earlier, whenever some gossip spreads about me, my father would be very cool. He will act normal and would never shout at you or anything. His idea is that as long as you have faith in yourself and are true to yourself, you don’t have to bother about what others talk about you.”
“At first gossips used to affect me, but not anymore. But sometimes you are dumbfounded about the kind of acrimonious stuff they find. Stuff that you won’t even ever imagine, much less do.”
Even then, she is pragmatic about the fact that gossips are a part of the film industry. “But my problem is that, I am a star only when I act; otherwise, I am a very homely girl with simple likes and dislikes.”
She elaborates - “While at home, I like to experiment with new recipes. Nothing too heavy, stuff like desserts and shakes. I never sit idle. I do glass paintings and anchor stitch kits too.”
“Even when shooting abroad me and my mother usually spend time inside the room and rarely go sightseeing. I am not too fond of travelling either. My interests are all close to home,” she signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment